Introducing HNDT – Haliburton Nordic Development Team
HNDT is a Fall to Spring Cross Country Skiing program for graduates of Track Attack, to further develop Cross Country Skiing skills. Youth shouldering this level, who are keen, committed and ready for a bigger cross country skiing commitment will be considered on a case by case basis to determine their readiness to join this program – minimum age is Grade 4.
We will be introducing concepts of training as well as offering some race opportunities to increase exposure to cross country ski racing. This program is separate from but will collaborate with the existing local programs – Jack Rabbits and our local High School Racing team.
HNDT participants will have the opportunity to:
- pursue racing in our growing and thriving High School program
- volunteer with the Jack Rabbit Junior Instructors Program
- choose to individually pursue higher level racing in the O-Cup circuit in future years
- feel better equipped for future ski adventures and be motivated to be skiers for life
When: Early Fall to when the trails are unskiable in March/April
Contact: Email Judy and Brian at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Having both skate and classic equipment – Liase with Equipment Rental Team as needed to explore club rental options – contact Annalee Winter or Kristy Waito via email@example.com. This program will develop both Skate and Classic technique so both sets of equipment are required. Classic skis should be waxable as waxing skills will be developed as well. Participants, particularly those in the older age group, may need to consider purchasing equipment as the rental fleet is not geared towards outfitting skiers for competitive classic and skate skiing.
- Thursdays 4:30pm-6:00pm at Glebe Park
- Saturdays 1:30pm-3:00pm (any skiers still in a JR level – register and attend JR on this day during the JR season) at Glebe Park
Parent helpers: To make this program thrive and be sustainable we welcome parent helpers to help fundraise, be sweep during practices (yes parents are welcome to join in for practices as they feel motivated/able), and to help with travel logistics/race day planning. There will also be volunteer opportunity to help with hosting a local race that will be new this year in our community.
Racing: The coaches/team will plan to attend 2-3 races as a team. Skiers will be encouraged to join these trips, to explore if racing is something they are interested in pursuing.
- Brian Suke – Head Coach
- Ian Ritchie – Assistant Coach
- Joleen Thomas – Assistant Coach
- Judy Suke – Manager/Pinch Hitter Coach
During Jack Rabbit season, this coaching team will divide up to contribute to coaching the Track Attack program, along with other Jack Rabbit volunteers. However, some new Jack Rabbit teacher volunteers are needed in order to support this expansion of ski opportunities in Haliburton. If interested in joining this awesome volunteer group for a rich and rewarding ski experience to add to your Saturdays please email Jack Rabbit Lead Lisa Werry at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please pass on the word to your skier parent friends as well.
- $75 registration fee for this program (coaches are volunteer but this will go towards insurance, any group equipment expenses ex. Wax, training aids etc…)
- Cost of HHNTA membership if you want your child to have access to HHNTA trails outside of practice times
- Cost of Equipment – again check out rental options (contact Annalee Winter or Kristy Waito via email@example.com) or feel free to ask questions of your coaches if you plan in investing in personal equipment and any questions arise
The below costs – with motivated parents – could be reduced by any fundraising we choose to undertake as a team
- Costs of Races – we will attend day trip races only this year so costs will be limited to registration fees/travel
- Team clothes – details of what item(s) we get this year is yet to be determined
Interested Skiiers in your home?
- Email Judy and Brian at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of ‘Interested in Development Team’ and share your interest to learn next steps.
- Please email as soon as possible to learn more as Registration for this program ends December 1st. Participants will be accepted up and until that date.
Looking forward to it!