Great list, courtesy of Len and Kit Pizzey. It doesn’t mention getting to wear lycra, but I guess that is assumed 😉
10. According to exercise physiologists…the best cardiovascular exercise known. Studies show physical and mental effects of exercise as good as many medications.
9. Uses a large percentage of muscle mass and is more efficient and effective than using legs or arms alone
8. Low impact, reducing loading of joints so great for those with arthritis
7. Gliding over uneven surfaces improves your body’s ability to perceive its position in space: proprioception
6. Weight shift while gliding on snow improves balance which is important as we age to prevent falls.
5. Increases cardiac output and oxygen carrying capacity of your blood i.e.. improves your cardiac fitness.
4. Improves visual acuity: your ability to sense terrain changes and snow undulations in bright and low light conditions.
3. Improves self esteem and confidence. Enjoying a ski will help you feel healthier and happier and more invigorated due to increased blood flow and heightened senses.
2. Skiing helps to cultivate an appreciation for our surroundings and environment. Quality time on our trails on a beautiful winters day helps us all appreciate the natural world we often take for granted.
1. Skiing with friends and family is a great bonding opportunity resulting in stronger relationships. This reduces stress in our daily lives and gives us an opportunity to recharge our batteries.
Membership and jackrabbit registration is now open for the 2015-2016 ski season! Online registration is up and running, with several ways to pay: online, by mail, or in person at the AGM: November 14th, 10 AM, Sir Sandford Fleming College. If you prefer to register in person for either memberships or Jackrabbit, we will be set-up to do that at the AGM this Saturday.
HHNTA Buffs are available! Be the fashion envy of everyone you know and support the Jackrabbit program in the process. Don’t know what a Buff is? (Where have you been?) It’s a multi-use hat, face mask, neck gaiter, sweatband, hair controller, fashion accessory. Here’s a video if you are at work and want to waste some time. You can pick yours up at the AGM, or order them when you register. If neither of those options works for you, contact Joleen, our intrepid membership coordinator, and she will hook you up: email@example.com